Dare runs a residential program in Newburyport, MA to serve teenage mothers and their children. All of these young mothers are in the custody of the Department of Children and Families (DCF). They all have experienced abuse and/or neglect. They come to us pregnant or with babies.
The teen mothers in our care have a strong desire to raise their children themselves and to live independently. However, their young age and family history places the mothers at risk for continuing the cycle of abuse. Our program works to break this cycle.
The program provides the following services to young mothers:
- 24-hour care in a comfortable house
- Excellent pre- and post-natal care
- Support and guidance from a staff trained in teen behaviors and infant care
- Assistance in enrolling in appropriate educational programs
- Career counseling
- Mandatory nightly parenting and independent life skills classes
- Preparation for a healthy transition, involving either a reunification with the mother’s biological family or a transition to realistic independent living
A lesson on Boudaries, as presented by the Dare Newburyport Pregnant and Parenting Teen program staff: